The Healing of a Blind Man at Bethsaida – Mark 8:22-26
When has your sight been clouded by circumstances in your life?
22 Then He came to Bethsaida; and they brought a blind man to Him, and begged Him to touch him.
23 So He took the blind man by the hand and led him out of the town. And when He had spit on his eyes and put His hands on him, He asked him if he saw anything.
24 And he looked up and said, “I see men like trees, walking.”
25 Then He put His hands on his eyes again and made him look up. And he was restored and saw everyone clearly.
26 Then He sent him away to his house, saying, “Neither go into the town, nor tell anyone in the town.”
Food for Thought
1. When have you experienced a situation where God only answered your prayer partially?
2. Why do you think God would not answer prayer as we hope?
3. If you lost your sight, what would you miss seeing the most?
4. What did the people do about the blind man’s condition? (8:22)
5. Where did Jesus perform this miracle? (8:23)
6. How did Jesus heal the blind man? (8:23-25)
7. How did Jesus treat the blind man differently from many other people he had healed? (8:23-26)
8. What is unique about this healing compared to every other healing Mark recorded in his gospel? (8:23-26)
9. What do we learn about Jesus’ character from the way he treated the blind man? (8:23-26)
10. What did the blind man see after the first touch from Jesus? (8:24)
11. What occurred after Jesus touched the blind man a second time? (8:25)
12. What did Jesus urge the man to do after he was healed? (8:26)
13. Why do you think the people begged Jesus to heal the blind man?
14. Why did Jesus take the man out of the town before healing him?
15. Should we or should we not publicise miracle healings?
16. What is Jesus’ attitude to Bethsaida and why? (Lk 10:13)
17. What is Jesus’ point in healing the man in stages and not all at once?
18. What connection do you think there is between the gradual healing and the slowness of the disciples to recognise who Jesus was?
19. What are the implications of this miracle for evangelism?
20. Why do you think Jesus healed people in so many unique ways?
21. What difference does it make to you that God views us all as unique individuals and treats us according to our own needs?
22. How should Jesus’ actions and attitudes in this story affect the way you represent Christ to others?
23. When has your sight been clouded by circumstances in your life?
24. How has God opened your eyes in a difficult situation?
25. Who do you know who has been changed by Jesus but now needs a “second touch” in his or her life?
26. How could you help a person who needs a “second touch” in his or her life?
27. What have you learnt from this passage about Jesus’ attitude towards people?
28. How can you show thanks to the Lord for his personal interest in you as an individual?
29. What can you do this week for someone in need?
30. What is one area of your life in which you can pray for God’s healing?
31. How do you want to respond the next time the Lord answers prayer in an unexpected way?