The Widow’s Offering – Mark 12:41-44
Should the poor give offerings?
41 Now Jesus sat opposite the treasury and saw how the people put money into the treasury. And many who were rich put in much.
42 Then one poor widow came and threw in two mites, which make a quadrans.
43 So He called His disciples to Himself and said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that this poor widow has put in more than all those who have given to the treasury;
44 “for they all put in out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty put in all that she had, her whole livelihood.”
Food for Thought
1. In what ways are outward appearances misleading?
2. How do people use religion to make themselves look good?
3. What does it mean to be poor?
4. Where did Jesus sit? (12:41)
5. What did the “rich people” do at the temple treasury? (12:41)
6. What do the “rich people’s” actions tell us about their motivation for giving? (12:41)
7. What did the poor widow give to the treasury? (12:42)
8. Why did Jesus call his disciples when he saw the widow put in her offering? (12:43)
9. Why did the large amounts of money given by the rich people not impress Jesus? (12:44)
10. Why was the widow’s gift so significant in Jesus’ eyes? (12:44)
11. What is the difference between giving in the world and giving in the kingdom?
12. What is the significance of Jesus purposely sitting near the temple treasury?
13. Should the widow have given all she had?
14. What do you think prompted the widow to give all she had?
15. How do you think this woman felt in the company of the rich givers?
16. What does this story have to say about self-esteem?
17. Should the poor give offerings?
18. How should we react in a service if we are asked to empty our pockets?
19. In your opinion, why do most people give money to churches?
20. With the destruction of the temple, what do you think is the appropriate use for church offerings today?
21. In what ways can we give to God today?
22. What do you think God want us to give?
23. What is the relationship between our monetary gifts and our faith?
24. What is your attitude towards giving money “to the Lord?”
25. How do you need to change you attitude about giving?
26. Does God want our material wealth?
27. If a Pastor is a salaried worker of the church, should he contribute to the offering?
28. How can we give of ourselves to the Lord?
29. What specific steps are you willing to take this week to give to the Lord?
30. How can you ensure that your attitude and motivation is right when you give to the Lord this week?