The Children of the Devil- John 8:42-47
What is the difference between the devil of Christianity and the devil that Jesus reveals?
42 Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and now am here. I have not come on my own; but he sent me.
43 Why is my language not clear to you? Because you are unable to hear what I say.
44 You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.
45 Yet because I tell the truth, you do not believe me!
46 Can any of you prove me guilty of sin? If I am telling the truth, why don’t you believe me?
47 He who belongs to God hears what God says. The reason you do not hear is that you do not belong to God.”
Food for Thought
1. What languages other than English and your native tongue have you learnt or would like to learn and why?
2. What makes mastering a second language so difficult?
3. Why is it that “little children” pick up foreign languages so easily?
4. In what way are you like your earthly parents?
5. What did Jesus say the Jews would do if God were their Father? (8:42)
6. Who sent Jesus? (8:42)
7. Why did Jesus say that his language was unclear to his audience? (8:43)
8. What shocking fact did Jesus reveal about his audience? (8:44)
9. What did Jesus say was not in the devil? (8:44)
10. What is the devil’s native language? (8:44)
11. Of what did Jesus say the devil was the father? (8:44)
12. Why did Jesus’ audience not believe him? (8:45)
13. What did Jesus ask his audience to prove? (8:46)
14. What did Jesus say that the person who belongs to God hears? (8:47)
15. What reason did Jesus give for these people’s lack of hearing? (8:47)
16. According to Jesus, are all things of God? (Rm 11:36; 1 Cor 11:12; 2 Cor 5:18)
17. What does it mean to be of God?
18. What points to the fact that one belongs to God?
19. How can the son of man be a child of the devil?
20. What does it mean when a man tells lies?
21. What is the difference between the devil of Christianity and the devil that Jesus reveals?
22. What does it mean to be unable to hear the words of Jesus?
23. Are those unable to hear the words of Jesus believers or unbelievers?
24. Are men generally more favourably-disposed to the truth or to lies?
25. What truths do you have a difficult time accepting?
26. What does your speech reveal about you?
27. What is your native language: truth, lies or another language?
28. How can we learn a new language?
29. How can we learn the language of the kingdom of God?
30. What is the language of the kingdom of God?
31. What truth that is difficult for you to face will you ask God to help you confront today?
32. What change in your speech can you make this week to reflect your status as a child of God?