The Calling of the First Disciples – Mark 1:14-20
Why would the promise of “catching men” be attractive to men engaged in catching fish?
14 Now after John was put in prison, Jesus came to Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God,
15 and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the gospel.”
16 And as He walked by the Sea of Galilee, He saw Simon and Andrew his brother casting a net into the sea; for they were fishermen.
17 Then Jesus said to them, “Come after Me, and I will make you become fishers of men.”
18 And immediately they left their nets and followed Him.
19 When He had gone a little farther from there, He saw James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother, who also were in the boat mending their nets.
20 And immediately He called them, and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired servants, and went after Him.
Food for Thought
1. What kind of invitations do you enjoy receiving and why?
2. What is “good news” about the kingdom of God?
3. When are you most willing to set aside your own needs for another person’s needs?
4. How did Jesus want people to respond to the fact that the kingdom of heaven was near? (1:15)
5. How did Simon and Andrew respond to Jesus’ call? (1:18)
6. What did James and John forsake in following Jesus? (1:20)
7. What is strange about asking a Jew to repent because the kingdom of God is near?
8. Why must the news of the kingdom of God be received with repentance?
9. What is the difference between the kingdom of God and the kingdom of men?
10. What preconditions must be met in order to follow Jesus?
11. What are the implications of following Jesus?
12. Why would someone forsake personal achievements, friends and even family for the sake of Jesus?
13. How did Jesus manage to convince these men to follow him?
14. Why would the promise of “catching men” be attractive to men engaged in catching fish?
15. What did Peter, James and John sacrifice in following Jesus?
16. What can we expect to gain by agreeing to follow Jesus?
17. What have you lost by following Jesus?
18. What prevents you from following Jesus wholeheartedly?
19. How can you convince others to follow Jesus?
20. What specific attitude or action should you give up now as an act of following Jesus?
21. How can you follow Jesus this week?