Jesus Clears the Temple – Mark 11:12-19
What are some of the things going on in the churches today that make you angry?
12 Now the next day, when they had come out from Bethany, He was hungry.
13 And seeing from afar a fig tree having leaves, He went to see if perhaps He would find something on it. And when He came to it, He found nothing but leaves, for it was not the season for figs.
14 In response Jesus said to it, “Let no one eat fruit from you ever again.” And His disciples heard it.
15 So they came to Jerusalem. And Jesus went into the temple and began to drive out those who bought and sold in the temple, and overturned the tables of the money changers and the seats of those who sold doves.
16 And He would not allow anyone to carry wares through the temple.
17 Then He taught, saying to them, “Is it not written, ‘My house shall be called a house of prayer for all nations’? But you have made it a ‘den of thieves.'”
18 And the scribes and chief priests heard it and sought how they might destroy Him; for they feared Him, because all the people were astonished at His teaching.
19 When evening had come, He went out of the city.
Food for Thought
1. If you could change one thing about Healing Wings, what would it be?
2. When was the last time you took a stand over something and why??
3. Over what are you most likely to lose your temper?
4. Why did the fig tree have no fruit? (11:13)
5. What did Jesus do to the fig tree and why? (11:13-14)
6. How did this event differ from every other miracle Jesus performed? (11:13-14)
7. What do both the cursing of the fig tree and the cleansing of the temple tell us about Jesus’ attitude toward the people of Israel? (11:13-17)
8. What happened when Jesus entered the temple area in Jerusalem? (11:15-18)
9. Whose authority was Jesus challenging when he drove the money changers from the temple area? (11:17)
10. What was Jesus saying about his own authority? (11:17)
11. Why was Jesus so upset about the “marketplace” atmosphere in the temple? (11:17)
12. How did the crowds and the religious leaders react to Jesus’ actions in the temple? (11:18)
13. Why did Jesus not know supernaturally that there were no figs on the fig tree?
14. What is the relationship between cursing the fig tree and cleansing the temple?
15. What is your reaction to hearing that Jesus cursed a fig tree?
16. The fig tree had leaves but no fruit. What is one area of your life that looks good but is not producing what God wants?
17. How can you tell if you are bearing fruit?
18. What lessons can we learn from this episode about anger?
19. What are some of the things going on in the churches today that make you angry?
20. Why did the religious authorities want to kill Jesus?
21. What practices in the church today do you think hinder unbelievers from coming to Christ?
22. What prevents you from being more of a “house of prayer?”
23. What kinds of thieves and thievery can be found in the churches today?
24. What specific steps can you take this week to concentrate on a weak area of your spiritual life, aiming to bear fruit for the Lord?
25. How can you show respect for God’s temple?