Jesus Calms the Storm- Mark 4:35-41
How has God helped you handle your fears and frustrations during difficult times?
35 On the same day, when evening had come, He said to them, “Let us cross over to the other side.”
36 Now when they had left the multitude, they took Him along in the boat as He was. And other little boats were also with Him.
37 And a great windstorm arose, and the waves beat into the boat, so that it was already filling.
38 But He was in the stern, asleep on a pillow. And they awoke Him and said to Him, “Teacher, do You not care that we are perishing?”
39 Then He arose and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, “Peace, be still!” And the wind ceased and there was a great calm.
40 But He said to them, “Why are you so fearful? How is it that you have no faith?”
41 And they feared exceedingly, and said to one another, “Who can this be, that even the wind and the sea obey Him!”
Food for Thought
1 Have you ever been in a disaster or near-disaster? What happened?
2. What has been the worst “storm” in your personal life?
3. When was the last time you felt out of control?
4. How do you tend to handle stress?
5. Where did Jesus and his Disciples go and how? (4:35-36)
6. What emergency situation arose? (4:37)
7. Why were the Disciples upset with Jesus? (4:37-38)
8. How was Jesus coping with the storm that threatened him and his men? (4:38)
9. What do you think of the Disciples’ question to Jesus: “Do you not care that we are perishing?”
10. How would you compare Jesus’ attitude to the crisis with that of his Disciples? (4:38)
11. How did Jesus address the situation? (4:39)
12. Why did Jesus rebuke his Disciples? (4:40)
13. What did the Disciples learn about Jesus from this event? (4:39-41)
14. Why were the Disciples so fearful?
15. What is the significance of a storm taking place in spite of Jesus being in the boat?
16. What are some of the more stressful storms we face in life?
17. What do you do when storms come up in your life?
18. Have you ever slept in a storm and is it wise to do so?
19. What kind of sleep do you sleep in a storm?
20. How do you react when God seems to be asleep when you need him the most?
21. What kinds of other foolish questions do people ask God in the middle of a storm?
22. “Peace, be still? Should the Lord have addressed the waves or the Disciples?
23. What difference has your faith in Christ made to your handling of storms?
24. How has God helped you handle your fears and frustrations during difficult times?
25. In what specific way has God shown his love and care for you?
26. What can we reasonably expect to happen when we pray in a storm or crisis?
27. Why are we still so fearful?
28. Do the Disciples have “little faith” or do they have “no faith?”
29. How can you trust more completely in the power and authority of Jesus?
30. In what specific areas of your life do you need more faith in God?
31. How can you trust God this coming week with situations that get out of control?
32. What do you want to remember the next time your life seems out of control?
33. How can we get the winds and the waves to obey us?